- The Tenth Indo-Russian Joint Exercise is being held at Babina Military Station.
- The aim of the exercise is to practice joint planning and conduct to enhance interoperability of the two armies in the peace keeping and enforcement environment under the aegis of United Nations.
- The eleven day exercise focuses upon training on enhancing team building and tactical level operations in a counter insurgency environment in semi urban terrain.
- Silver Jubilee Commemoration Ceremony to mark the 25th edition of SIMBEX, “Singapore-India Maritime Bilateral Exercise” was held onboard INS Sahyadri at Visakhapatnam.
- It is a bilateral exercise between the two navies of India and Republic of Singapore.
- SIMBEX is the longest un-interrupted bilateral maritime exercise that India has had with any navy.
- The 25th edition of SIMBEX is the largest in terms of complexity, weapon firings and maritime geography.
Definition of SI units
- The definition of kilogram has been changed from being the mass of prototype sanctioned by the 1st CGPM held in Paris in 1889 and deposited at the BIPM to the Planck constant which is a physical constant.
- Likewise, the definition of metre has been changed to link it to the speed of light. There is a change in definition of time also.
- The change in the definition will result in uniform and worldwide accessible SI system for international trade, high- technology manufacturing, human health and safety, protection of environment, global climate studies and the basic science under-pinning these.
General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM)
- The decision for changing the definition of SI units was made at General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM) held in France.
- The CGPM comprises 60 countries including India and 42 Associate Members.
- The International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM), the main executive body of CGPM has the responsibility of defining the International System of Units (SI).
- This revision of the SI is the culmination of many years of intensive scientific cooperation between the National Metrology Institutes (The national Physical Laboratory for India) and the BIPM.
- The dissemination of SI units for the welfare of society and industries in the country is the responsibility of Legal Metrology, Department of Consumer Affairs, Government of India.
Definition of Kilogram
- The 26th CGPM meeting was very special and historic as the members have voted for the redefinition of 130 years old “Le grand K – the SI unit of kg” in terms of the fundamental Planck’s constant(h).
- The International prototype of kilogram (IPK) is kept at the BIPM, Paris and serves as the international standard of kilogram.
- It is made of 90% platinum and 10% iridium and is a cylinder of 39 mm diameter and 39 mm height.
- Kibble balance is a self-calibrating electromechanical balance and provides the measurements of mass, traceable in terms of electrical parameters and provides linkage of macroscopic mass to the Planck constant (h).
SEZ Policy Report
News: The Baba Kalyani led committee constituted by the Ministry of Commerce& Industry to study the existing SEZ policy of India submitted its report to the Union Minister for Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation.
He said if India is going to become a USD 5 trillion economy by 2025 then the current environment of manufacturing competitiveness and services has to undergo a basic paradigm shift. The success seen by services sector like IT and ITES has to be promoted in other services sector like health care, financial services, legal, repair and design services.
- To evaluate the SEZ policy and make it WTO compatible
- Suggest measures for maximizing utilisation of vacant land in SEZs
- Suggest changes in the SEZ policy based on international experience
- Merge the SEZ policy with other Government schemes like coastal economic zones, Delhi-Mumbai industrial corridor, national industrial manufacturing zones and food and textiles parks.
Need for change
The Government of India has set a target of creating 100 million jobs and achieving 25% of GDP from the manufacturing sector by 2022, as part of its flagship ‘Make in India’ programme. Furthermore, the Government plans to increase manufacturing value to USD 1.2 trillion by 2025. While these are ambitious plans to propel India into a growth trajectory, it requires evaluation of existing policy frameworks to catalyse manufacturing sector growth. At the same time, policy needs to be compiled with the relevant WTO regulations.
- It is an upgraded version of AirSewa to provide a superior user experience with enhanced functionalities.
- Major improvements include features such as secure sign-up and log-in with social media, chatbot for travellers support,improved grievance management including social media grievances, real-time flight status and details flight schedule.
- he upgrade and improved version of AirSewa operates through an interactive web portal as well as through a mobile app and will offer passengers a convenient and hassle-free air travel experience.
- The web portal and application will help to capture air travellers’ feedback for policy interventions.
- The AirSewa 1.0 has helped significant number of air passengers to get their concerns resolved with 92 % closure rate for grievance solutions. In addition to grievance redressal, AirSewa also provides real-time flight status and flight schedules.