Why in news
National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) has been merged with another central police organisation – the BPRD – by the government with an aim to improve efficiency of development works related to policing.
- The NCRB was created in 1986 as the central police organisation to collect and analyse crime data, on various parameters, from across all the states of the country.
- Its data assist the investigators in linking crime to the perpetrators.
- One of its objective is to create and maintain secure sharable National Databases on crimes and criminals for law enforcement agencies and promote their use for public service delivery.
- It is also implementing the ambitious crime and criminal tracking network (CCTNS).
- The BPRD, created in 1970, is the national police organisation to study, research and develop on subjects and issues related to policing.