New government in Bangladesh and the road ahead
What is the news
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has secured her third consecutive term with a landslide victory in Bangladesh’s national election.
Importance of Bangladesh for India
- Bangladesh is closely linked to India through its shared culture and ethnicity with West Bengal.
- The language, a slightly varied dialect of Bengali, acts as a bridge between East India, North East India and Bangladesh.
- Security of northeast and the eastern states bordering Bangladesh.
- Road access to the east.
Significance of Bangladesh election for India
India enjoyed good reputation and helpful neighbour with Sheikh Hasina government. For India it is a very positive development. India invested a great deal in Bangladesh over last few years including investment in infrastructure and assistance in fostering in Economy. And both countries stood together on the matters of security and connectivity. So, this win of Sheikh Hasina will take the relation of both countries to new level.
Concern Areas for both countries
- The Rohingya problem– The Rohingya Refugee crises has become a major issue for India and Bangladesh and both countries putting joint effort to stabilize the situation of Rohingyas.
- Terrorism-In last few years both countries have taken same stand on terrorism and agreed for participation in the role to counter terrorism.
- Security in Bay of Bengal region-for this purpose Bangladesh and India both are making their presence significant in BIMSTEC.
- River issue-For the distribution of water of river Padma and Ganga, India is coming with a framework.
China and Pakistan Factor-Presence of China and Pakistan factor in Bangladesh is a threat to India. To nullify this factor India needs to invest in Bangladesh and assist it to become a developing country from the least developing nation.
The last year has shown many changes in the politics of neighbour countries of India. From the change in the political regimes of Maldives, Sri Lanka and now the third term of Sheikh Hasina which favours India’s participation in their economy and policy framing for development. Now India has an opportunity to not only maintain the relations with all these countries but also to escalate to the new level and prove itself as a super power in Indo- Pacific region.