What is the news –
Recent cabinet decisions regarding various issues.
A high level committee to implement Clause 6 of Assam Accord and several longstanding demands of Bodos was also approved.
- Clause 6 of Assam accord stipulates that constitutional, legislative and administrative safeguards shall be provided to protect, preserve and promote the cultural, social, linguistic identity and heritage of the Assamese people.
- Clause 6 of the Assam Accord has not been fully implemented even almost 35 years after the Accord was signed.
- Apprehension being raised in Assam by giving citizenship right to migrants coming from Bangladesh.
- High level committee will pave the way for the implementation of the Assam Accord in letter and spirit.
- Committee will also suggest measures to be taken to protect Assamese language and indigenous language and the quantum of reservation in employment under Government of Assam.
- The Cabinet also approved the establishment of a Bodo Museum-cum-language and cultural study center, modernization of existing All India Radio Station and Doordarshan Kendra at Kokrajhar and naming a Superfast Train passing through BTAD as ARONAI Express.
First-ever three way merger in Indian Banking with amalgamation of Vijaya, Dena and Bank of Baroda.
- Amalgamation of these banks will make the new bank third largest bank in the country and will help in creating banking brand from perspective of Indian Banking system.
- As India needs a quick bank reform to tackle the problems in banking sector now after amalgamation the reform process now set in motion.
- There are proper measures taken to ensure that there is no retrenchment in any of three banks. All category of employee will be protected and continue to work.
Amendment to the Trade Unions Act, 1926 to make provisions regarding Recognition of Trade Unions.
- India has inherited trade union movement since independence and it has received affiliation from left wing, congress and many other political parties.
- Trade unions are active in different sector and they all are recognized in their respective sector.
- This decision will allow Trade Unions to register with government agencies or the management of the companies or the institution and this will pave the way for structural and innovative arrangement.
- For negotiation the registration proves to be very helpful with the authorities in cases of deadlock and compensation and labour welfare.
- It also provide a regulatory mechanism for trade union to avoid overlapping of many trade union for single cause.
Restructuring of National Health Agency as “National Health Authority” for better implementation of Pradhan Mantri – Jan Arogya Yojana.
- It is envisaged that the National Health Authority shall have full accountability, authority and mandate to implement PM-JAY through an efficient, effective and transparent decision-making process.
- The National Health Agency, including costs related to IT, human resources, infrastructure, operational costs etc. would be utilized by the proposed National Health Authority.
Proposal to allot land to Chandigarh Housing Board for construction of apartments for 3930 allottees under Self-Financing Housing Scheme for UT Employees.
- The project will directly or indirectly provide employment opportunity to labour and some blue collared workers i.e. engineers at local level also for the duration of the project, without putting pressure on exchequer.
‘The Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Order (Amendment) Bill, 2018’ for revision in list of Scheduled Tribes of Arunachal Pradesh.
- After the Bill becomes an Act, member of the communities newly listed in the revised list of Scheduled Tribes of Arunachal Pradesh will also be able to derive benefits meant for STs under the existing schemes like Post Matric Scholarship, National Overseas Scholarship, National Fellowship, Top Class Education, Concessional Loans from National Scheduled Tribes Finance and Development Corporation, Hostels for ST boys and girls etc.
- In addition to above, they will also be entitled to benefits of reservation in services and admission to educational institutions as per Government policy.
The decisions taken by the Union Cabinet is for the welfare of people who hardly get recognition like the trade unions, North East region areas due to lack of opportunities. To improve these Government is coming up with various infrastructure projects and reforms.