What is the news
As a part of the on-going Indian Science Congress, 2019, Science Communicators’ Meet was inaugurated by the Union Minister for Law & Justice and Electronics & Information Technology.
Aim of Science Communicators Meet
The specific objective of the meet is to bring different science communicators together to discuss the development and optimum utilization of existing & new media and arenas in order to strengthen the dialogue between the research community and the society.
Role of Science Communicators
A science communicator is someone who bridges the gap between the science and the public. Science communicators act as a medium which convey the research, technology and science to the society which is not aware about the various researches going in laboratories and the universities.
- Agriculture- In agriculture mostly the extension services are manned by the science communication services like Soil test, fertilizers application, suggesting the remedies for pest attack etc.
- Primary health care –In medical field communicators help to remove the superstitious stereotypes regarding vaccination. For example- in many places in India there is a misconception about the polio vaccination and science communicators tell the people the actual reasons for the vaccination.
- In daily life-In daily life we live with many misconceptions, fake news and many more irrelevant content about the science and technology like the misconception about the radioactive elements. Here science communicators tell the people the actual use of the those material in generation of energy.
- Provide scientific content in regional language-In India there are many regional languages and communicators provide the research to the people in their regional languages to the people of non-scientific background.
Role of Government in promoting science and technology
- Government supports the communicators and recognize their efforts by awarding them and helping them in providing infrastructure.
- There are many initiatives taken by the government to strengthen the field of science like introduction of digitization in scientific research. Now communicators can easily transmit the journals, researches to other region within a minute.
- The government and scientific community is tackling the fake content and journals without any evidence and both players coming with many steps to deal with that so that the actual picture comes in front of the people.
The science Communicators’ Meet provides an opportunity to academicians, science journalists, activists, filmmakers, scientists and other communicators from all over the world to meet, deliberate and exchange their views on how to develop science communication and expand the horizon of the science to the every person in India.