What is the news
Official inauguration of the second edition of the Khelo India Youth Games.
Significance of Second edition
- Union Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs has expanded the scope of the Khelo India School Games in the second edition. It will allow participants to compete in two categories – (Under 17) and (Under 21).
- It also allows students from colleges and Universities to compete.
- There are 18 disciplines in both the age groups including arching, weightlifting, volleyball, hockey, shooting, kabaddi, boxing and many more.
- It will see over 10,000 participants from 29 states and 7 Union Territories.
Khelo India Program
It was introduced by the Ministry of Sports and Youth affairs to revive sports culture in India at grass-root level.
Objectives of the Program
- To provide opportunity to the unidentified talent to show his/her sporting skills.
- It is expected to help scout young talent from schools and colleges in various disciplines and groom them as future sports champions.
- Talented players will be identified under it in priority sports disciplines and each will be provided scholarship of Rs. 5 lakh for 8 years.
- Mass participation of youth in annual sports competitions through a structured competition.
- Guidance and nurturing of the talent through existing sports academies and new ones set up either by the Central or State Government or in PPP mode.
- Creation of sports infrastructure at mofussil, Tehsil, District, State levels.
Outcomes of program
- Khelo India has proved to be an important initiative to bring out talent from remote areas of India.
- It is also improving the relationship between the federation and players by introducing a high powered committee to identify talent and promoting it.
- National attention through the telecast of the games on the television and has inspired the youth to come and join.
The youth represents the most dynamic and vibrant segment of the population. India is one of the youngest nations in the world, and has more than 50% of its population below the age of 25. To promote mass participation in sports Khelo India should continue and come up with a bigger edition every year.