Tapping Overseas Indians
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 17 January described NRIs as India's brand ambassadors and said they were the symbols of the country's capabilities. The prime minister was inaugurating the 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas convention in his parliamentary constituency of Varanasi. For the first time, the three-day-long convention is being organised from January 21 to 23 instead of January 9 to allow participants to visit the Kumbh mela in Prayagraj and attend the Republic Day parade in the national capital. The theme of this year's convention is 'role of Indian diaspora in building new India'. The Prime Minister of Mauritius Pravind Jugnauth is the chief guest of the convention, while Himanshu Gulati, Member of Parliament of Norway, is the special guest.
What is the importance?
It was started in 2003. Its initially aim was to pool into the expertise that overseas indians have been able to achieve. India today has about 31 million of diaspora. Thus, it was to establish greater synergies between indian and overseas indian.
What role does the indian diaspora play in shaping india?
- The indian diaspora across more than 100 countries which includes people from working class to fortune 500 company’s CEO.
- They can play a great role in promoting start-up india by mentoring innovative indians.
- They can foster tourism in india by convincing non-indian communities to pay visit to india.
- We are getting approximately 70 billion of remittance in US dollars.
- 10 to 15% of all the property boom in urban areas is driven by the overseas citizen of india.
- Indian leadership has been able to unite diverse indian elements in abroad into one national identity.
- We are trying to create a civilizational india greater than territorial india.
What have been the greatest achievement of indian diaspora?
- They have been able to put pressures on US congress to pass India-US nuclear deal. This is the first time india realized the strength of indian diaspora which needs to be leveraged.
- In the spelling bee competition, more often than not it is an indian who is winning the competition.
- Our strength has been handwork and learning. The educational standards of OCIs, NRIs are relatively higher.
- It is the indian who rules the roost either in US or in Europe.
- We have to identify sectors where india can do very well with linkages from abroad
- We can identify people whose influence can be leveraged
- We have to identify high value services like cloud-computing to establish ourselves as largest pool of human resource
- Clean governance and politics will restore their belief in investing money in india
- Create larger bodies of OCI to strengthen the ability to lobby
- Inclusive diplomacy is the best way forward