- PM-JAY app : Ayushman Bharat world’s largest health Scheme
- The PM-JAY app launched by Union Minister under the scheme Ayushman Bharat.
- The app is helping users to get easy access of information about the scheme, check eligibility, find hospitals nearby and get assisted help.
- The app will provide a way to connect and get all important information on the Ayushman Bharat PM-JAY.
Ayushman Bharat Yojana
- Ayushman Bharat Yojana or Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY) or National Health Protection Scheme or ModiCare is a centrally sponsored scheme launched in 2018, under the Ayushman Bharat Mission of MoHFW in India.
- The scheme aims at making interventions in primary, secondary and tertiary care systems, covering both preventive and promotive health, to address healthcare holistically.
- It is an umbrella of two major health initiatives namely, Health and Wellness centres and National Health Protection Scheme (NHPS).
Ayushman Bharat consists of two major elements.
- National Health Protection Scheme
- Ayushman Bharat-National Health Protection Scheme, which will cover over 10 crore poor and vulnerable families (approximately 50 crore beneficiaries) providing coverage up to 5 lakh rupees per family per year for secondary and tertiary care hospitalization.
- Benefits of the scheme are portable across the country and a beneficiary covered under the scheme will be allowed to take cashless benefits from any public or private impaneled hospitals across the country.
- It will target about 10.74 crore poor, deprived rural families and identified occupational category of urban workers’ families as per the latest Socio-Economic Caste Census (SECC) data covering both rural and urban.
- One of the core principles of Ayushman Bharat – National Health Protection Mission is to co-operative federalism and flexibility to states.
- Wellness centres
- About 1.5 lakh centres will be setup to provide comprehensive health care, including for non-communicable diseases and maternal and child health services, apart from free essential drugs and diagnostic services.
- The government will upgrade existing Public Health Centres to Wellness Centres.
- The Contribution of private sector through CSR and philanthropic institutions in adopting these centres is also envisaged.
- The list of Services to be provided at Health & Wellness Centre include:
- Pregnancy care and maternal health services
- Neonatal and infant health services
- Child health
- Chronic communicable diseases
- Non-communicable diseases
- Management of mental illness
- Dental care
- Geriatric care Emergency medicine
- Bullet train gets green light via flamingo haven, national park
- Recently, a committee, chaired by Union Environment Minister has accorded wildlife clearance to the Mumbai-Ahmedabad high speed train corridor that encroaches upon a flamingo sanctuary and the Sanjay Gandhi National Park, the home to leopards, in Mumbai.
About the Mumbai to Ahmedabad High Speed Rail
- This project for one of India’s first ‘bullet trains’ was inaugurated by Prime Minister and his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe in Ahmedabad in September, 2017.
- It is expected to be ready by 2022.
- The train will cover distance of over 508 km from Sabarmati (Gujarat) to Bandra (Mumbai, Maharashtra) in around 2.58 hours at high speed of 320 kph from the existing 7-8 hours.
- In case of rapid high-speed, it will cover the distance in 2.07 hours.
- In this project around 80 % cost will be provided by Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) as soft loan at interest of 0.1% per annum.
- This loan will be repaid to Japan in 50 years, with 15 years grace period.
This project also helps in the vision of our Make In India:
- As per agreement between India and Japan, MAHSR Project has “twin, complementary objectives viz. localised manufacture and transfer of technology.
- It will give stimulus for advanced components’ manufacture and construction, one of the stated objectives of the project is Make in India.
- It will create around 15 lakh new jobs in India.
- 100% use of VVPAT for Lok Sabha polls: EC
- The Election Commission informed the Madras High Court that it had made it clear way back in 2017 that there shall be 100% use of the Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) system during the Lok Sabha election 2019.
- This will help to gain voter confidence.
Significance of Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) machines in elections:
- The usage of VVPAT machines of the Election Commission is expected to ensure free and fair elections.
- In the VVPAT system, when a voter presses the button for a candidate of his choice in the electronic voting machines (EVM), a paper ballot containing the serial number, the name of the candidate and poll symbol will be printed for the voter.
- The voters will be able to view the voter-verifiable paper audit trail slip for seven seconds after which it will get deposited in a sealed box.
- VVPAT machines can be regarded as an independent verification system as it
- allows voters to verify that their votes are cast correctly,
- detects possible election fraud or malfunction and (iii) Provides a means to audit the stored electronic result
- Russia racing to develop new missile systems to counter US by 2021
- Russia recently announced that it is planning to develop two new land-based missile launch systems in response to President Trump’s announcement that the U.S. will withdraw from a landmark nuclear weapons treaty.
- Moscow intends to develop the systems by 2021 in order to counter U.S. developments in its missile capabilities.
- The U.S. and others in the international community have accused Russia of violating the treaty, which prohibits nuclear and conventional ground-launched missiles with ranges between 300 to 3,400 miles from being deployed in Europe, since 2014.
About Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty
- It was one of the crucial Cold War-era treaty banning development, testing and possession of short and medium range ground-launched nuclear missiles with range of 500- 5,000 km.
- The treaty was signed in December 1987 between then US President Ronald Reagan and his USSR counterpart Mikhail Gorbachev.
- The treaty banned all nuclear and conventional missiles, as well as their launchers, with ranges of 500–1,000 km or (short-range) and 1,000–5,500 km (intermediate- range).
- This treaty was central to ending arms race between two superpowers during cold war and protected America’s NATO allies in Europe from Soviet missile attacks.
- It was designed to provide measure of some strategic stability on continent of Europe.
Implications of the US withdrawal from the Treaty
- The unilateral withdrawal from this treaty will allow US new nuclear weapon options in Pacific in its efforts to counter China’s growing influence.
- There are also concerns that unilateral termination of this treaty could mark beginning of new arms race between US and Russia.
- Samagra Shiksha Abhiyan
- Department of School Education and Literacy has launched an Integrated Scheme for School Education-Samagra Shiksha, subsuming three erstwhile Centrally Sponsored Schemes of Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA), Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan (RMSA) and Teacher Education (TE), with effect from 2018-19.
- The new integrated scheme envisages school education as a continuum from pre-school to senior secondary level.
- Its aim to ensure inclusive and equitable quality education at all levels.
The main objectives of the scheme are
- provision of quality education and enhancing learning outcomes of students
- bridging social and gender gaps in school education
- ensuring minimum standards in schooling provision
- Support to states in the implementation of RTE Act, 2009 and strengthening of teacher education institutions.
- Earthquakes Swarm
- Recently around 42 micro earthquakes shook some villages of the Palghar district of Maharashtra state in 2 days period.
About the Earthquakes swarms
- Earthquake swarms are events where a local area experiences sequences of many earthquakes striking in a relatively short period of time.
- The length of time used to define the swarm itself varies, but may be of the order of days, weeks, or months.
- They are differentiated from earthquakes succeeded by a series of aftershocks by the observation that no single earthquake in the sequence is obviously the main shock.
- It is believed that these are caused by the movement of tectonic plates which is normal in the Indian peninsula.
- Shehri Samridhi Utsav Launched
- It is an initiative of Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA).
- It aims to extend the outreach of Deendayal Antyodaya Mission – National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM), to the most vulnerable, showcase its initiatives and facilitate access of Self-Help Group (SHG) members to the other government schemes.
- It is the National Exhibition and a sale of Self Help Group products and National Street Food Festival organized in New Delhi.
- This will help to linked all the Self Help Group members in to the national government schemes like Swachchh Bharat Mission, Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana, Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana, Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana, Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana, Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Yojana and National Nutrition Mission.
About Deen Dayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM)
- It is Centrally Sponsored Scheme implemented by Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation.
- Its objective is to uplift urban poor folks by enhancing sustainable livelihood opportunities through skill development.
- Its intended beneficiaries are urban poor (street vendors, slum dwellers, homeless, rag pickers); unemployed and differently abled.
- It also provides social mobilization and institution development through formation of Self-Help Groups (SHG) for training members and hand holding, an initial support of 10, 000 is given for each group.
- It also provides subsidy to urban poor i.e. interest subsidy of 5% – 7% for setting up individual microenterprises with loan of up to 2 lakhs and for group enterprises with loan limit of up to Rs.10 lakhs.
- Recently PAISA Portal a centralised electronic platform is launched for quicker processing of loans under the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAYNULM).
- It aims to connect directly with beneficiaries and ensure there is greater efficiency in the delivery of services.
- It has been designed and developed by Allahabad Bank, the nodal bank under the scheme.