VP faults human rights activist groups for ambivalence
- VP found fault with the tendency of some activist groups for adopting an ambivalent attitude on human rights.
- He was addressing the gathering at the Valedictory ceremony of the LAWASIA conference in New Delhi.
- He said they either defend or maintain silence regarding the violation of human rights by the violent groups and are ready to condemn law- enforcing, peace-promoting, firm action by the State. This dual stand is untenable.
- VP asserted that violence or terror in any form and perpetrated by any one against any individual or group should be condemned and dealt with firmly as per the laws of the land.
- VP expressed his happiness that the Supreme Court had made great strides in human rights jurisprudence in the country.
- He said that since the Emergency, the Supreme Court has emerged as a relentless protector of the rights regime, setting an example for the top constitutional courts of the Asia Pacific Region.
- Referring to various topics such as Gender, Sexuality, Human Rights and New Technology being discussed at the conference, he said that these were the areas where nation-states are treading uncharted territory.
Boost to Energy Security
- In a boost to energy security of the country, PM dedicated to the nation, 1.33 MMT Visakhapatnam Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) facility of Indian Strategic Petroleum Reserve Limited (ISPRL).
- The cost of the Project is Rs. 1125 crore. The Facility has the largest underground storage compartment in the country.
- He laid the foundation stone for setting up BPCL Coastal Installation Project at Krishnapatnam.
- Project will be commissioned by November 2020. Fully automated and State of the art Coastal Installation Project will ensure security of the petroleum products for Andhra Pradesh.
- Giving major push to the Gas Based Economy, PM also dedicated to the nation, ONGC’s S1 Vasishta development project located in the Krishna-Godavari (KG) Offshore Basin in Andhra Pradesh.
- The cost of the Project is about Rs.5,700 crore. This project will contribute significantly in realising PM’s vision of reducing oil imports by 10% by 2020.
Union Minister Smt Harsimrat Kaur Badal inaugurates Cremica Food Park, the 1st Mega Food Park of Himachal Pradesh
- Union Minister for Food Processing inaugurated Cremica Mega Food Park Pvt Ltd.
- This is the first Mega Food Park operationalized in the State of Himachal Pradesh. The Park will give an impetus to the growth of the Food Processing Sector in Himachal Pradesh.
- This Mega Food Park has been set up in 52.40 acre of land at a cost of Rs. 107.34 crore.
- The facilities being created by the developer at Central Processing Centre (CPC) of this Mega Food Park include –
- Multi-crop pulping line with bulk aseptic packaging (24 MT/ hour),
- Frozen storage (1000 MT),
- Deep Freeze,
- Dry Warehouse,
- QC Laboratory and other food processing facilities.
- The Park will also provide direct and indirect employment to 5,000 persons and benefit about 25,000 farmers in the CPC and PPC catchment areas.
- Ministry of Food Processing Industries is focusing on boosting the food processing industry so that agriculture sector grows exponentially and becomes a major contributor to doubling the farmer’s income and Make In India initiative of the government.
- To give a major boost to the food processing sector by adding value and reducing food wastage at each stage of the supply chain with particular focus on perishables, Ministry is implementing Mega Food Park Scheme in the country.
- Mega Food Parks create modern infrastructure facilities for food processing along the value chain from farm to market with strong forward and backward linkages through a cluster-based approach.
- Common facilities and enabling infrastructure is created at Central Processing Centre and facilities for primary processing and storage is created near the farm in the form of Primary Processing Centers (PPCs) and Collection Centers (CCs).
- Under the Scheme, Government of India provides financial assistance upto Rs. 50.00 Crore per Mega Food Park project.
Union minister calls for expanding the supply and availability of energy in a safe and environmentally responsible and sustainable manner
- Union Petroleum and Natural Gas minister has called for expanding the supply and availability of energy in a safe and environmentally responsible and sustainable manner.
- PETROTECH-2019, the 13thEdition of India’s flagship hydrocarbon Conference, was held at India Expo Mart, Greater Noida.
- Minister said that Energy is integral to support the fast-growing Indian economy and we are working to deliver energy justice to the poorest of the poor by adopting the four pillars.
- Four pillars are Energy access, Energy efficiency, Energy sustainability and Energy security as our guiding principles.
- He said PETROTECH will also serve as a platform to discuss solutions to the challenges that we face not only in India, but also in our respective countries, in delivering affordable, efficient, clean and assured energy supplies to all our citizens.
- The theme of this conference is – Shaping the New Energy World through Innovation and Collaboration.
- India has made remarkable jump in World Bank’s ease of doing business ranking from 142 in 2014 to 77th position in 2018.
- There is a big shift in energy consumption from Europe to Asia, United States becoming the world’s largest oil and gas producer after the shale revolution, Solar energy emerging as a competitive and most sustainable energy alternative.
- He said that there is going to be a significant increase in the energy demand over the next 20 years and oil and gas are likely to remain prominent fuels in the global energy basket.
- Given the increasing emission and CO2levels globally, it is also important that we take care of challenges arising out of global warming.
- Oil & Gas sector is a key contributor to India’s economy and accounted for almost 55% of our energy mix in 2017.
- India is the third largest consumer of crude oil and petroleum products globally, accounting for 4.5 % of world oil consumption.
- State-of-the-art National Data Repository has been set up to facilitate potential investors to take informed decisions based on the geo-scientific data of hydrocarbon resources in the country.
- Today, Indian Oil and Gas companies are present in 28 countries with investments worth approximately 38 billion US dollars. During last 3 years, Indian companies have acquired strategic stakes in overseas assets in UAE, Oman, Israel and Russia.
- In addition to the general development of the hydrocarbon industry, government have also focused on improving the ease of living of the common people by enhancing access to clean cooking fuel which we have called the Blue Flame Revolution.
- Clean-fuel based transportation has been given a major impetus. India is shifting directly from BS-IV to BS-VI standards for fuel from April 2020.
- The supply of BS VI quality fuel has already begun in national capital of Delhi from April 2018.
- Ethanol Blended Petrol Program is being implemented and National Biofuel Policy to promote alternate fuels has been introduced.
- The expansion of city gas distribution has been expedited in the country with 86 new geographical areas granted authorization in 2018 and bids for another 50 new areas are under evaluation for authorization.
Surging Silk, Mega Event Held in New Delhi
- Buniyaad Tasar Silk Reeling Machines were distributed to women reelers from tribal areas at a function organised by the Ministry of Textiles and Central Silk Board in New Delhi.
- The machine developed by Central Silk Technological Research Institute in association with an entrepreneur from Champa in Chhattisgarh.
- It will improve the quality and productivity of Tasar silk yarn and reduce the drudgery of women. It is planned to eradicate thigh reeling and replace it with Buniyaad reeling machine by end of March 2020.
- Woman reelers using the traditional method earn approximately Rs.125/- per day while a Tasarreeler using Buniyaad machine can earn Rs.350/- per day.
- The machine is priced at Rs.8,475/- per unit excluding taxes and transportation charges.
- Union Minister of External Affairs assured the Textiles ministry to provide all support for promoting global trade of silk.
- She said that silk is a strong commodity and there is a huge demand for it in the international market.
- She said that the mobile app e-cocoon will help quality certification in silk worm sector.
- Mobile application will be used by the Seed Analysts and Seed Officers nominated under Central Seed Act for system and product certification through real time reporting.
- India is the second largest producer of silk after China and the largest consumer of silk.
- India’s silk production capacity is expected to reach about 38,500 tonnes by 2020 from the current level of 32,000 tonnes.