In a televised address on 19 February 2019, Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan denied his country’s involvement in the Pulwama terror attack. Imran Khan’s statement comes 5 days after Pak based Jaish-e-Mohammad carried out a suicide attack in which 40 Jawans of CRPF were martyred. Imran Khan also said that Pakistan will act if evidence is found against anyone in Pakistan but did not utter a word about Pakistan based internationally recognised terrorist organization Jaish-e-Mohammad which has claimed the responsibility for the dastardly terror attack in Pulwama. After the Pulwama terror attack India had once again urged the UN to brand Pak based Jaish chief Masood Azhar as a global terrorist. India has also to withdraw the Most Favoured Nation, MFN status to Pakistan and sought immediate and verifiable action from Islamabad against Jaish-e-Mohammad.
Highlights of Pakistan’s leadership after Pulwama attack
- Khan said Pakistan is ready to work with India in investigating the attack to ascertain “whether any Pakistani was involved”. He added, “If you have any actionable intelligence that Pakistan was involved, give it to us. I guarantee we will take action.”
- Pakistan, he said, is also ready for talks with India on terrorism. “We will not take action because of pressure, but because if anyone is using Pakistani soil, he is our enemy and working against our interests,” he added.
- Khan also said “It is in our interest that nobody from our soil spreads violence. I want to tell Indian government that we will take action if evidence is found against anyone from Pakistan.”
- Khan said he chose to speak five days after the Pulwama attack because his government was preoccupied with the visit of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
- However, he warned that any adventurism on part of India to threaten sovereignty of Pakistan will be met with assured retaliation. He said that he has come across calls for attack on Pakistan through the Indian media.
Analysis of the speech
- The speech is like a stale kichdi which is not acceptable anymore.
- This is an established pattern after every terror activity. This speech seems to be dictated by pakistani army.
- Pakistan has failed to answer some of the fundamental questions which we as a country have raised.
- Imran talks of a very shallow logic – that provide to us actionable intelligence – as though the origin of the crime is not known.