Relations between India and South Korea
- The PM is on a two day visit to South Korea.
- He will be receiving the soul peace award in Korea
- It is his second visit to the country. He had visited South Korea in May 2015.
- He will also be holding his second summit with the South Korean President.
Highlights of the visit
- PM Modi addressed Indian and Korean Businesspersons In Seoul to enhance partnership between both countries
- Korea specific facilitation cell called “Korea Plus” was launched to guide, assist and hand-hold investors during the entire life-cycle of the business
- PM launched the Startup Grand Challenge, on India-Korea Startup Hub, to channelize the entrepreneurial capacity between Indian and Korean Startups to work together and build solutions for challenges facing the world.
- PM unveiled the Bust of Mahatma Gndhi at Tonsir university in Seoul.
- PM Modi was gifted a Bodhi tree sapling by Heo Seong gon, the mayor of South Korean city of Gimhae, as a mark of close ties between our two countries.
India and South Korea
- The relations between India and South Korea have been since ancient times.
- Both countries have a strong connection of Buddhism
- Princess of Ayodhya had gone to South Korea in 40AD and married a Korean Prince. About 20% of Koreans consider India as their motherland
- Both countries have a history of colonialism.
- Both countries celebrate 15th August as their national day.
- Korea is our strong partner in Make in India and strategic partnerships.
- While South Korea looks to diversify its interests, India offers to be a good investment destination.
- Traditional manufacturing and future technologies like Artificial Intelligence, Internet of things etc are other areas of cooperation.
- Both countries are strong democracies and peace loving and have economic prosperity.
- Both countries want the region to remain stable.
- Both countries are aware and cautious of China’s aggressive growth.
- Both share the opinion that US must continue its presence in Indo-pacific region and in East Asian region so that there is balance to the rise of China
- India ans South Korean should take the ever growing relations further.
- It should focus on new technologies.