GENERAL STUDIES Mains-1
GS1 broadly includes these sections: Indian Heritage and Culture, Post – Independent India, World History, Geography and Society.
Syllabus topics and booklist for the same is given below.
Topic1: Art & Culture :
- Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
|Primary Source||NCERT Class XII – Themes In Indian History I, II, III
XI Fine Arts Introduction to Indian Culture
Tamil Nadu book- Class 11th
|Secondary Source||CCRT Website|
Topic2: Modern India
- Modern Indian history from about the middle of the 18th century until the present significant events, personalities, issues.
- The Freedom Struggle – its various stages and important contributors or contributions from different parts of the country.
|Primary Source||India’s Struggle For Independence – Bipin Chandra.
A Brief History of Modern India – Rajiv Ahir
|Secondary Source||From Plassey to Partition: A History of Modern India by SekharBandyopadhyay|
Topic3: Post-Independent India
- Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the country.
|Primary Source||India Since Independence – Bipan Chandra (read selectively)
Class XII NCERT : Politics in India Since Independence
|Secondary Source||PradhanMantri series on YouTube|
Topic 4: World History
- History of the world will include events from 18th century such as industrial revolution, world wars, redrawal of national boundaries, colonization, decolonization, political philosophies like communism, capitalism, socialism etc. – their forms and effect on the society.
|Primary Source||Old NCERT World History Class-X|
|Secondary Source||Mastering Modern World History by Norman Lowe|
Topic 6: Indian Society
- Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India.
- Role of women and women’s organization,
- Population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues,
- Urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
- Effects of globalization on Indian society.
- Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism.
|Primary Source||NCERT class 12 :Indian Society|
|Secondary Source||Indian Society – Ram Ahuja
Social Problems in India – Ram Ahuja
Topic 7: Geography
- Salient features of world’s physical geography.
- Distribution of key natural resources across the world (including South Asia and the Indian subcontinent); factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sector industries in various parts of the world (including India).
- Important Geophysical phenomena such as earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, cyclone etc., geographical features and their location – changes in critical geographical features (including waterbodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
|Primary Source||NCERT Class-XI – Fundamentals of Physical Geography
NCERT Class XII – Human Geography
NCERT Class-XII – India-People and Economy
Certificate Physical and Human Geography – G. C. Leong.
|Secondary Source||Geography of India – MajidHussain|
General Strategy for GS1:
- Make short notes for each topic given in the syllabus in your own language and revise it repeatedly.
- Minimum sources, maximum revisions – Please revise the standard book at least thrice for maximum retention and assimilation.
- Practice answer writing for static part of the syllabus. Don’t neglect static section.
- Integrate current affairs with the topics mentioned in the syllabus esp. for Society and Geography.
- Keep a tab on the recent culture news from the Hindu newspaper and make short and crisp notes from it.
- Read and make notes of the static part of the events recently in news as questions are mostly asked on the fundamentals of the recent issues.